From the desk of the Executive Director - Cathy Berg
Hello everyone! Well it’s been a hot and very fast summer. It’s hard to believe that the Rally is just around the corner. I am hoping with the hot weather, it has brought a lot of business your way for those thirsty tourists that are in the area.
The year is half over, and as always, we have already started to prep for the 2018 session. It won’t be long before they will be putting together their agenda items for the session. As you may or may not know, there were a total of 15 bills that affected the industry in the 2017 session. It just tells you how important it is that we continue to work on our cause and to do whatever is necessary to fight for you and your business.
We are always looking for new members, and if you aren’t a member, you should be. You may ask yourself, why should I be a member of the South Dakota Licensed Beverage Dealers and Gaming Association? There are numerous benefits of being a member, of course, but the one most important reason is, this is the only group that can represent you and your business in Pierre. We have a hired lobbyist that is there throughout the entire session talking to legislators, testifying on your behalf, and insuring those bills that we don’t want, get to the floor for a vote. As any busy business owner, there aren’t enough hours in the day to be able to go to Pierre for 90 days to protect your business interests, and so that is one of the most important reasons why we exist.
Other benefits of being a member:
- Information services – bi-monthly newsletter and price listings; email action alerts; networking and information exchange; national representation – as you become a member automatically through the American Beverage Licensee (ABL) – over 33,000 members.
- Legal & Referral Services – Receive immediate help and assistance to general questions regarding industry compliance issues. A referral service to the proper source or we can contact state or local agencies on your behalf.
- Legislative & Regulatory Services – SD Licensed Beverage Dealers and Gaming Association is the only association exclusively dedicated to the protection and promotion of the retail beverage alcohol industry and the video lottery industry. We provide a variety of services to protect your business interest:
- Track and Monitor – local, state and federal legislative and regulatory activity
- Lobby – For measures that promote and protect your business against issues that are unnecessary and burdensome to the industries. A full time lobbyist works on your behalf and the industry all year round.
- Keep you informed: Of all local, state and federal issues and changes.
- Assist with all issues: That affect the industry such as alcohol, video lottery, tobacco, live entertainment, employment/wage matters, etc.
- Legislative Accomplishments: Through professional legislative representation (full time lobbyist) in Pierre and our grassroots communication efforts these are some examples of our accomplishments:
- Defeated alcohol taxes
- Defeated a per drink liquor tax
- Fight the expansion of liquor licenses
- Worked to protect licenses interest in video lottery and fought against the repeal of video lottery
- Defeated proposed DRAM Shop laws
- Opposed lowering blood alcohol levels for DWI
- Created a law that provided penalties for minors attempting to purchase with a false ID or attempting to purchase alcohol
- Prohibit the selling of alcohol below wholesale cost
- Monitor hours of operations for liquor establishments
- Training Services – TAM (Techniques of Alcohol Management) training – which includes employee seminars to educate servers/sellers of alcohol to comply with state laws related to responsible beverage alcohol sales, service and consumption. Certified employees can reduce an establishment’s penalties assessed by the state. TAM instructor training program is an option for employers with several employees who find it easier to train their own employee’s in-house. As a member, these training seminar registrations are discounted.
- Other Benefits –
- Low Dues
- Full time office for alcohol and gaming questions
- Advanced website with up to date distributor pricing, Behind the Bar online bi-monthly newsletter, industry announcements, legislative alerts and updates, etc. (www.sdliquorandgaming.com)
- Annual meeting and hog roast with legislators (free to members)
COME JOIN US
Contact our office today at #800-721-1789 or #605-343-1844 to find out more details in becoming a member and the many benefits with the South Dakota Licensed Beverage Dealers and Gaming Association.
Discover what the South Dakota Licensed Beverage Dealers and Gaming Association can do for you and your business!! ACT TODAY!!
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK OUR CURRENT MEMBERS OF THE SOUTH DAKOTA LICENSED BEVERAGE DEALERS AND GAMING ASSOCIATION. YOUR LOYALTY AND SUPPORT HAS GIVEN US THE ABILITY TO DO WHAT IS NECESSARY IN THIS VERY HIGHLY REGULATED INDUSTRY. IT IS YOUR MEMBERSHIP THAT KEEPS US MOVING FORWARD ON YOUR BEHALF TO PROTECT YOU AND YOUR BUSINESS. YOU ARE HIGHLY VALUED, AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO WORKING WITH YOU IN THE FUTURE.
Enjoy the rest of your summer!
Cathy Berg, Executive Director