With the incorporation of the latest technology and a robust communications system, South Dakota’s video lottery industry is set to enter a new era.
In partnership with Scientific Games International, the South Dakota Lottery is in the process of completing a video lottery system migration. The system migration is expected to be completed by April 2021, and it will be the culmination of a multi-year process that included the Lottery, Scientific Games and all partners of the video lottery industry.
The new system will offer a wide array of benefits to both the Lottery team and video lottery operators and establishments throughout the state. The center of these benefits is a new site controller, which handles multiple communications protocols and aid in combating the growing threat of fraudulent tickets. With this new technology available at establishments throughout the state, staff can immediately verify the legitimacy of tickets when a player claims a prize.
The new system will also allow operators to access valuable reporting and business intelligence tools, which will be housed in the new Operator Portal.
The Lottery anticipates the field conversion will begin November 4. If your establishment will be part of the system migration, please remember to have your sites prepared for equipment installation. Site preparation is vital to an efficient migration, and we advise it’s done as soon as possible.
Recommended Steps Include:
• Get a new CAT5 cable from the MCD to the location of the new Site Controller.
• Get a new CAT5 cable from the D-Protocol Daisy Chain to the location of the new Site Controller.
• Create some space for the new site controller, printer and cellular modem.
• Ensure that there is a power source nearby. A power strip will be provided, so you will only need one outlet available.
• While a roll of paper for the printer will be provided, you should have extra rolls available. These are standard thermal cash register point of sale paper rolls (3 1/8” x 230’).
While the completion of the system migration is still months away, the Lottery and Scientific Games are providing training opportunities to ensure a smooth launch. The Lottery has hosted a series of digital townhall meetings for operators and will expand its training calendar in the near future.
For future updates on the system migration and a timeline of key dates, visit https://lottery.sd.gov/retailer/VLConversion.aspx.